History of Rich Hill United Church
Rich Hill Church was built in 1888. On its 126th anniversary, the church was re-dedicated using these words adapted from a quote by John Henry Newman:
“God has created this church to do some definite service. God has committed some work to this church which God has not committed to another. We have our mission – we may never know it in this life, but we shall be told it in the next. This church is a link in a chain, a bond of connection between persons. God has not created this church for nothing. It shall do good. It shall do God’s work. It shall be an angel of peace, a preacher of truth in its own place. Therefore we will trust God.”
Music is an important aspect of worship at Rich Hill. Children are central to our worshiping life.
Worship is followed by coffee and conversation.
History of Tottenham United Church
In 1885 a Methodist Church was built on the NW corner of Church and Mill Sts, Tottenham. In June 1895 a portion of the town of Tottenham was destroyed by fire, including the Methodist church. All they were able to save was the Pulpit Bible and the Bell. They are still part of Tottenham United Church today. Church Street was renamed Dickerson Street.
They rebuilt the church and Sept. 9, 1895 the corner stone for the new church was laid. The following are some special milestones:
1) Church Union 1925
2) June 10, 1925 The United Church of Canada was created.
The following changes have been made to Tottenham United Church:
1950 – The original pair of stairs were rebuilt coming into the front of the church.
1960 – The old furnaces were replaced with oil and later changed to gas. The floors in the sanctuary were covered with oak squares and the aisles, chancel and the choir loft were carpeted.
1972 – the front of the building was revamped.
1975 – front of the church remodeled to enclose one set of stairs.
1982 – the sanctuary floor was braced and the basement remodeled.
1984 – phase 2 of the basement reconstruction. New Gas Stove in the kitchen.
1989 – the bell tower was refinished
1996 – remodeling took place with wheel chair access, new choir and Sunday school rooms, new Minister’s office and upgraded bathrooms.
2001 – carpeting upgraded and main hall retiled.
Adopt A Road was organized to include a portion of Mill Street from the church to the 10th Sideroad.
There are continuous repairs ongoing.